Saturday, August 23, 2008

COMMENT: Personal Stories. Part Ten. & War-Photographies By Levani Chkhatarashvili


Photos 23. August 2008 by Levani Chkhatarashvili

For the period of 6 7 and 8 August Village Tamarasheni has been shelled. On our way from Tamarasheni to Gori we have witnessed the bombing of five store house building located next to the tank divions.
I do not remember exactly the date because of the stress, I would assume it was 9 August around 4 pm. The air strike was launched by the Russian air planes. Our neighbors found refuge in this building, however the only one dead body of female was found ,the other corpse must have been burnt.
By the time the village was bombed the Georgian army was located nearby, but there were no fighting. The bombing was unexpected and sudden.

None of my family members stayed at the occupied territory, however, there is couple of old aged neighbors who stayed in the caller of my house. They hoped the situation would get better. I have not heard about their fate until this moment.

------------------------

12. On 8, 9 August I came back to my house in village Brotsleti to take my clothes with me. And I became an eyewitness of an air strike. My house got also damaged by the air attack. I saw the bomb falling down 50 meters away from me, where Georgian soldiers were disposed. I approached the military unit and saw 2 dead soldiers. After that I heard some more explosions and ran away. When the attack ended I headed the street towards Tbilisi and someone took me by a car to Tbilisi.

-----------------------

I was already going to leave Gori when on 12 August, at about 13:00 I was in a private chemist's, Stalin 13. Suddenly the sky lightened and I heard an explosion, one bomb fell in front of Stalin statue and another in front of "Trialeti", the broadcasting company. Some journalists got injured and some civilians died. I believe there was no Georgian army in Gori at that time, there were just peaceful civilians there. The air attack was performed by a Russian aircraft.
The building of the chemist's and the apartments above it got also damaged.


----------------------

I, Tamaz Javakhishvili was living in the village Avnevi and was forced to flee as the Russian forced army entered the village on 7 August.
Me and my family have incurred the moral, physical and material loss. Russian army has looted our house and burnt it-we are not homeless.
My brother has been wounded right next to the house door during the shelling. Both civilians and solders were wounded during the shelling.


----------------------

My father Hamlet Maisuradze and my cousin Otar Maisuradze were killed by bombing. They were buried in the garden in front of my house with the help of my neighbors.
I also lost my car due to this military aggression. Both of my houses were looted and all the household items were taken away from there. I also witnessed its bombing. I also lost 3 cows and 10 000 tomato sprouts.


---------------------

Yesterday they held 2 'Ikarus'-type buses and about 10 Gazel minibuses and motorcars in front of the Gali Administrative Building. They withdrew people from villages - Otobaya, Nabaki, and Bargebi; they also brought medical staff from Shegali, by ambulance cars. They forced people at markets to go with them; to say openly - Suram Jinjolia – the Market Director threatened people that if somebody did not come to the meeting, he or she would never enter the market territory for private trade. Many people went to the meeting just because of fear, but many of them did not, and it is not known yet what sanctions will be imposed on them because of it in the future. They forced many teachers from town and villages to come to the meeting. And the teachers agreed to do so because of the current state of affairs – they fear that they will lose their jobs. I have information and I have seen myself that the Russian soldiers sell stolen things from Georgia in Abkhazia, I am an eye-witness - I saw how they sold everything they had for 500 rouble.

---------------------

Me and my spouse left on 10 August, prior to what my daughter in law and two grandchildren left. My son has been a combatant. We tried to remain calm but we could not. When tank division has been bombed, we were told that there were 20 dead and 10 wounded solders. Among them was Vasik Ganjelidze- planning his wedding in few days. He used to be my student. I am a teacher. Georgia does not remember the corpse that shall not be buried- dead body of Vasiko however, could not have been buried for a long time.

There were facts of vandalism, harassment and killings in Kharateli and Tkviavi . We have fled to Kaspi where air strikes has been still continuing. On the way to Kaspi we saw the big vehicles that were full of corpse.


----------------------

I don't remember exactly the date of leaving my village and living place. Presumably on the 8th of August I and my villagers were gathered at the meeting place in the centre of the village Eredvi. At about 10 o'clock I saw 2 flying plains above the village, which belonged to Russian military forces. They attacked village Eredvi and its peaceful population. The bomb shells fell just 500 meters away from where we were, demolishing houses and killing peaceful villagers- Seiran Ozgenishvili, Tsiala Tarielashvili and so on… The mentioned bombing was witnessed by many villagers, whose names I don't remember. The bombing has been going on for few minutes, after that the planes left the territory, though after just a while they carried out a new air attack. At the time of air attack the Georgian armed forces were positioned on the territory of our village. They were under the attack of Russian military planes as well. The Georgian forces started firing in response. During the air attack I fell on the ground, though didn't get any injuries. After that accident I and my wife left the village Eredvi immediately. The next day I returned to the village to take the documents of my family members. The village was totally abandoned.

---------------------

On August 11 I heard shooting and went outside. Bibilashvili Alexandre, Zalikashvili Vasiko and Zazarashvili Niko were standing on the street of Karaleti. The vehicle passed with Ossetian soldiers. The soldiers opened fire and Alexandre Bibilashvili was killed.
On August 10 I was hiding in my backyard together with my neighbor, Vakhtang Terterashvili. Meanwhile Ossetian soldiers (in military forms) robbed the house of my neighbor – Guram KHaribegashvili and stole his car. Then I moved to the cellar of another neighbor - Amiran Bazandarishvili. Amiran himself and his wife were there. Ossetian soldiers entered the cellar and were threatening us. Amiran's wife is Ossetian. She saved our lives. They would kill us if Amiran's wife was not there. We reached Tbilisi by hitchhiking.


-----------------------

On August 11 at 10a.m. Russian air forces entered the central part of Gori. Greek and Georgian journalists were gathered around the monument of Stalin. We did not leave the town as we thought Russians would not bomb the city- so many journalists were there, but the bomb fell in the center of Gori. One shell fell in our yard, but did not explode. The incident caused panic and chaos, one of our neighbors - Tamaz Bolotashvili was wounded. We had a private house, which was damaged as one of the bombs exploded near it and soldiers standing nearby were also wounded. I witnessed Russian troops and military equipment entered the town. I saw this by my own eyes and left the town immediately for the safety of my children and family, but the danger was following us, surroundings of the town were also under the attack. We ran 5 kilometeres and then managed to get a car to Tbilisi. Georgian troops were not there as Russian military forces were already in Gori. Zurab Lomradze can confirm this.

-----------------------

The bombings began on 10.08.08 by the air forces and by the artillery, I saw it with my own eyes, it was about 7 am and lasted until 7:30 am. At 12 in the afternoon tanks entered the village, followed by the troops wearing Russian uniforms comprised of Russians, Ossetians, Cossacks and Chechen armed men. On 13.08.08 they came to me and requested to given them my own automobiles. I gave them my "tricycle" (the so called "trangaletka") and tractor. They also took away from my house TV set, stereo system, electric hair drier and oth. That evening I hid myself in the yard near to my house. In the evening of August 13th I noticed how a jeep, the so called "willis", has approached my house, three armed men wearing Russian uniforms have disembarked the jeep they were accompanied with two dogs of the German shepherd breed. They were searching for the population who were hiding in the houses and the adjacent territory. Me and 10 of my co-villagers were forced to leave the village and walk all the way to Igoeti from Tkviavi, through yards and fields.
I witnessed how they burned houses of Tamaz Kapanadze, Zaza Razmadze and Misha Melitauri. Melitauri Misha, Chokheli Gogia and Melitauri Shaqro (78 years old) were first murdered and afterwards they burnt their houses.
They set Demetrashvili's house on fire, the population was able to put it off, however the combatants set the house on fire for the second time.
My co-villagers who were in the field – Vano Chikhladze, Korinteli Roin and Kapanadze Tamaz (Kapanadze still remains there), told me that armed men wearing Russian uniforms took with them about 30 women and men via a minibus allegedly for the purpose of cleaning up Tskhinvali. Since then nobody has seen these 30 people.


-----------------------

We were forced to leave our house. They burnt the house and banished us on August 7. They robbed us - took money, car, robbed our shop. We could hardly reach the basement after the bombing started. We had to stay there for three days and three nights without any food.
My father Givi Djavaxishvili (war veteran) was wounded. He is in Gudushauri clinic now, his health condition is critical. He was the only supporter of our family, which has three children.


----------------------

I am Ossetian by nationality, but I am married with Georgian and have two children, mother-in-low, sister-in-low and two under aged grandchildren.
I am refugee for the second time. First time I was banished from Tskinvali 18 years ago. After that I started living in the village Avnevi. Here I was attacked again. They took everything from me - property, house, car, money, jewelry.
We are in a very difficult situation. I saw many wounded people. My relative was also wounded by Osetian and Russian soldiers.


------------------------

I left village Variani on 7th of August because of the bombardments. At about 9 or 10 AM the first bomb was dropped on the territory of Variani, what resulted in the death of two local residents, father and son. Son's name was Makho Bedoshvili. Bomb has also wounded 8 people: Ilia Aduashvili, Temo Aduashvili, Beqa Giorgishvili, Nikoloz Kereselidze, Mikhail Khizanishvili, 12-year-old Vako Urjumelashvili 11-years-old Tsira Urjumelashvili who were immediately transferred to the Gori Public Hospital and then to Tbilisi.
From 8th to 13th of August we were near the village Kheltubani, where we could hear gunshots as well as bomb explosions. I saw two dead civilians and one dead soldier called Vitali in Kheltubani.
On 13th of August after the invasion of Cossacks and Ossetians I left Kheltubani. I left because gangs of Cossacks and Ossetians were robbing houses and killing innocent people.
While travelling on the highway I encountered a division of Russian armed forces with tanks and trucks (Kamaz and Ural trucks). They had more than 100 vehicles. One of the soldiers asked me for Vodka. I was able to see the writing on the white wristband soldiers were wearing. It said "Giorgadze".
I got to Tbilisi on 13th of August.
On 15th of August I got a notification from my father Emzar Makiashvili about our house having been robbed. They took everything: clothes, dishes, knives, forks, china, TV. Above-mentioned information can be confirmed by my wife – Lali Khutsishvili.


-----------------------

Bombardments started on 2nd of August and were incessant for a few days. We left our cattle and an unlocked house in the village. We could hear gunshots from artillery. Ossetian soldiers were very aggressive. There is a Georgian Trinity Church on the opposite side of our village, which is one of the most precious things for each one of us. It has been occupied by Ossetian soldiers for 6 years now. Ossetian gangs have confiscated our church, our territories and our cattle's valleys. We have been patient all this time, but recently their actions have become too aggressive to keep up with. They have forbidden entrance to the church for us and burnt down the whole village. They had a bridge-head in front of the church at first; 2-3 weeks ago they have dug up holes preparing for the war. They had tanks and weapons.

When we got to Gori we were supposed to live in the secondary school #7. However, bombardments began and several people were wounded. We had to hide irregulars from the bombs and we kept them at that school. When the first bomb was dropped it fell on a public residence area and one family got killed off. Even small children were found dead. In fact, there was a baby's leg found, while a pregnant woman is still missing. They could not find her in the ruins.

We know for sure that airplanes belonged to Russians and Ossetian gangs were all over our village Nuli. When we heard shootings we used to turn off the lights and hide in the house. Unfortunately, I did not have a digital camera to take pictures of what was going on. There are our neighbors left in the village: those, who did not want to leave their houses and who were not afraid of armed forces.

This is the second time I have become a refugee: at first I ran away from Tskhinvali, now from Nuli. I strongly agree to the statement that the whole world should oppose Russians and they should bear consequences for what they have done to us.

I confirm my consent to submit this document to the European Court of Human Rights.
The information has been provided by me. I confirm it with my signature.


-----------------------

The reason of forcible displacement from my house was Russians impatient invasion and systematic bombing of Georgia, which was followed by ground forces, warships and airplanes, who were robbing local inhabitants, taking away everything we possessed. Afterwards they used to set a fire and burn everything. They totally destroyed by double-starred house, infatuated my car "Ford", forcibly took away my golden jewelry by beating, insulted and assaulted me morally and physically. When my neighbor, George, with Ossetian nationality tried to assist me, they riddled him right then.
The text is prompted by me and is totally true.


-----------------------

Military operations started on August 6, the rumors spread that Russian aviation was going to bomb us and as a result large number of people started to leave their houses on fled. I left with my family on my neighbor's car and witnessed how two buildings caught fire. The car behind us was hit by missile dropped by the plane, as a result of which two women died, the driver was severely injured. The bombing started in August 8 after 19:00 o'clock and I don't know how long it lasted, because I already left with my family. As far as I know, at that point the Georgian army wasn't in village Kurta.

-----------------------

Bombing started at the 8th of August, from 10 o'clock and lasted till the 10th of August. Inhabited, as well as uninhabited territories were being bombed. One of the shell fell into our yard, our house was damaged , fruit-bearing trees were just cut into two parts. They destroyed the whole harvest, we are left without house and crop.
We left our house at the 8th of August , the next day, we tried to enter the village and see our houses: everything were being desrtoyed and burn! When we were leaving the village, Russian militaries, as well as Ossetian separatists were located at the Tkviavi bridge. We were ordered to get out of our own car, from which they stole our accumulator.
According to the all abovementioned, I, as a citizen of Georgia, want my claim to be sent to the European Court of Justice.


-----------------------

contact: georgiawar@gmail.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not remember exactly the date because of the stress, I would assume it was 9 August around 4 pm.
====================================
simmons

[url=" http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/georgia"] Georgia Alcohol Addiction Treatment[/url]

Anonymous said...

isc62@cebridge.net

I want to help