Friday, April 15, 2011
CALL: The Magnum Foundation Announces 2011 Young Photographer in the Caucasus Award Now Open for Submissions (magnumfoundation.org)
The Award program is open to all photographers born after January 1, 1973, living in Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, the Republics of the North Caucasus in the Russian Federation (Daghestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia, North-Ossetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, Karatshaevo-Tsherkessia, and Adigey Republic) and the Russian Federation regions of Stavropol Krai and Krasnodar. Existing United Nations standards on nationality and borders will be utilized for purposes of determining eligibility.
Applicants must submit up to twenty (20) images from a single documentary project situated in the Caucasus (as described above) in digital format, together with a one-page written statement (in English, French, or Russian) describing the project and providing a short biography and the contact information of the photographer.
• Images must be uploaded onto The Photoshelter Site at caucasusaward.photoshelter.com
(Once you sign up, your upload instructions will be emailed to you).
• Please submit images only. Do not submit images in a movie, multimedia or slideshow format.
• Image resolution must be 100 dpi and cannot exceed 1000 pixels on the longest side.
• Images should be numbered in the order that you wish them to be presented (to ensure correct sequencing please use two digits), followed by the applicant’s last name. Do not use any spacing in the file names. For example, John Smith’s images should be numbered 01Smith, 02Smith, 03Smith, etc.
• Please be sure that your written statement includes your biography (including professional affiliation, if any) and current contact information, including telephone number and email address, as well as a description of the submitted project.
The Magnum Foundation reserves the right not to consider any submission not meeting the requirements listed above. Only submissions uploaded onto the Photoshelter site will be reviewed. The Foundation will not review hard copies.
A short-list of entries will be reviewed by a jury composed of the members of Magnum Photos in late June 2011. The jury will propose a winner and possibly up to two honorable mentions to be confirmed by the Board of Directors of the Magnum Foundation. The winner and honorable mention recipients will be notified by the Magnum Foundation by telephone or email and will be publicly announced by July 1st. The selection of the winner and honorable mention recipients shall be made in the sole and absolute discretion of the jury and the Foundation.
In addition to the $5000 prize to support an ongoing documentary project, the winner will receive a statue presented by a Magnum photographer at an awards ceremony held in Tbilisi, Georgia. The portfolios submitted by the winner and honorable mention recipients will also be featured on the Magnum Foundation’s website.
Terms and Conditions
All applicants represent and warrant that they are the sole authors of the works submitted and that there is no legal or other impediment to making the submission or granting the licenses described herein. Applicants agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Magnum Foundation from and against any claim arising from a breach of the foregoing representation and warranty or from any allegation that submitted materials violate the rights of any third party, including by copyright infringement, defamation, breach of contract, or invasion of privacy