Von: Cornelius Graubner
Datum: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:18:14 -0400
Maybe the job posting pasted below is of interest? Solid Russian language skills and a US work permit are necessary requirements.
Central Eurasia Project - EurasiaNet
The Open Society Institute works to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. Open societies are characterized by the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; market economies in which business and government are separate; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
To achieve its mission, OSI seeks to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, OSI implements a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, OSI builds alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. OSI places high priority on protecting and improving the lives of marginalized people and communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros in 1993 created OSI as a private operating and grant-making foundation to support his foundations in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Those foundations were established, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. OSI has expanded the activities of the Soros foundations network to encompass the United States and more than 60 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Each national foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
OSI's Central Eurasia Project (CEP) acts as a policy advocacy center, grant-making program, and OSI liaison for Soros foundations and programs in the South Caucasus, Central Asia, Mongolia, Turkey and Afghanistan. EurasiaNet is a daily news web site that operates under the CEP's auspices. EurasiaNet provides information and analysis about political, economic, environmental and social developments in the countries of Central Asia and the Caucasus, as well as in Russia, Afghanistan and Turkey. The Technical Manager reports directly to web site's editor;
For more information visit http://www.eurasianet.org
The Technical Manager works full time for the CEP's website EurasiaNet, an online magazine that posts original stories concerning political, economic and social developments in the Caucasus and
Central Asia. The Technical Manager oversees all technical aspects of the site's operation, including both the English and Russian language sections, in particular the formatting of stories and photographs for uploading on to EurasiaNet's servers, and promoting stories via web-based social networking platforms. Other responsibilities include;
* Oversees all technical aspects of the site's operation, including both the English and Russian language sections, in particular the formatting of stories and photographs for uploading on to EurasiaNet's servers;
* Promotes the distribution of stories via web-based social networking platforms.
* Organization of EurasiaNet's photo archive;
* Primary point of contact between EurasiaNet, and the website's contributing editor for photography.
* Responsible for adapting the site to accommodate multi-media packages, comprising text, images and audio.
* Maintains the website as an information resource, searching for new outlets to which EurasiaNet can link, while deleting outdated links,
* Communication with partner organizations to ensure that EurasiaNet material is properly distributed according to existing arrangements.
* The Technical Manager may, on occasion, work on developing and maintaining the website of partners projects within OSI.
* Coordinating the posting of audio/visual projects.
* Maintaining the website as an information resource via links to other websites.
* Handling administrative tasks, including generating consultancy agreements for EurasiaNet contributors and processing payments. (Approximately 10 hours per week).
* B.A. degree.
* Solid journalism skills;
* Familiar with the Drupal content management system, as well as have thorough knowledge of HTML, XML, Photoshop, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office;
* Familiarity with Coldfusion and at least some web design skills are a plus.
* Ability to manage Microsoft Excel spreadsheets is essential.
* Experience with various social networking platforms, including Facebook and Twitter.
* knowledge of the Russian-language a plus;
* Basic familiarity with political, economic and social developments in the Caucasus and Central Asia is a plus.
* Solid proof-reading skills
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before August 10, 2009 to: email@example.com
Include job code in subject line: TechMgrCEP