Košice 2013 – European Capital of Culture (www.kosice2013.sk)
By now, Košice and whole Eastern Slovakia is one of the most fascinating regions in Europe. Not for nothing, Košice was the “European Capital of Culture” in 2013. During the last centuries, the whole region was influenced by many different kingdoms, countries and cultural groups and still you can feel this multicultural spirit in the city, also because of the huge Hungarian and Roma minorities and the three universities. During the socialistic time, Košice became a centre of steel industry, the population tripled within 3o years. The influence of the former socialistic times, especially in architecture and working infrastructure, still exists. During the last years, Košice, located at the Schengen border, starts a huge transformation process and will become an important cultural hub between east and west in social, political and artistic terms.
Artist in Residence
In the frame of European Capital of Culture the NGO Košice 2013 is running an international Artist-in-Residence-program for the artists from all over the world and out of all artistic disciplines and expressions. We give our residents the possibility to become a cultural pioneer and work in the inspire environment of Košice`s singular cultural surrounding to realize art projects, collaborate with the agile local art scene and present themselves to the local and national public.
We pursuit three main goals within the residency program:
- Support the creative energy of every invited artist and give her/him the chance to work in a new environment and to find (new) artistic ways of expression
- Stimulate the art scene in Košice, in the region and in whole Slovakia. Support the dialogue as well as the confrontation of the residency artists with local artists and the wide public.
- Create/strengthen a beneficial environment for the development of innovative and international contemporary art projects with international and local participants.
According to our main goals, our team will introduce every artist in the social environment of the city and the region and help them to build up networks and collaborations with local artists. We will organise public events like artist talks, projections, workshops, open studios to give all artists the chance to introduce and present themselves to a wide public. A final project/exhibition will show the working process during the stay of each artist.
K.A.I.R. – FACTS
What we provide
- Two month residency in Kosice, Eastern Slovakia (June and July 2014)
- Free accommodation and studio in Kasárne/Kulturpark, former military barracks renovated into the multi-genre cultural centre (kosice2013.sk).The two room flats are fully furnished with kitchen. The studio is equipped with basic tools and technical equipment.
- Honorary 500€ per month
- Travelling costs maximum 350€
- Material costs 500€
- Production and PR support
What we demand
- We are searching for visual artists from Georgia, who are open to collaborations with local artists. The artist should work on site specific project reflecting changing environment and the transformation of the city.
Artist should be able to know English on at least working level (hosting residency will support with the translations when needed).
- One presentation during the residency and final project/exhibition at the end
- Compulsory attendance
- Presentation/public event about the residency project upon return to Georgia
The application must consist of three PDF files (all written in English and named as below)
- PDF n°1: Curriculum Vitae – a short CV including your name, address, phone, email, educational and exhibition background
- PDF n°2: Letter of motivation and objectives – briefly describe your motivation to come to Košice and first ideas of projects you would like to realise
- PDF n°3: Portfolio – artist statement and presentation of artworks (texts, photos, links tovideo or audio sharing websites: YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud etc.)
- Deadline: 31st of January, 10:00 AM 2014 / please send it only via email (subject line: K.A.I.R./GeoAIR application) to email@example.com
Contact to host organization
- K.A.I.R. Management: Zuzana Kotiková – firstname.lastname@example.org / 00421915078489
- Online: kair.sk (official website), k-a-i-r.tumblr.com (blog), https://www.facebook.com/KosiceArtistInResidence (facebook), www.youtube.com (youtube channel)