Friday, March 21, 2008

PHOTOGRAPHY: Chkhutuneti by Emmanuel Smague


My stay in Georgia gave me the opportunity to meet other Flickr photographers: Amiko, Levan, Nika, Irakli, Ani, Giorgi, Tina and Sébastien - First off, thank you
all for your warm welcome and availability !

I must particularly thank Amiko who really took to heart my desire to work on a photographic subject. Hence, thank you for introducing me to Zuri, an interpreter who made it possible for me to stay and discover a village called Chkhutuneti.

Located 4 miles away from the Turkish border, in the Machkhela valley, this mountain village holds 80 families, who are mostly Orthodox Christians.They have been living almost fully in autarchy, relying during the winter on the harvests of the other seasons. The wood stove, their warmth, hospitality and simplicity kept me warm and made me feel welcome.

Each and every glass of the local wine would be the occasion for a toast: to the family, to the lost ones, to the future but also to my being here with them.It was hard to leave this village as the people fully conquered my heart. A huge rock had fallen across the path on the day of my departure, hence holding it up for a day. Probably a sign...

Emmanuel Smague

No comments: