Friday, April 24, 2009

COMMENT: Here Should Have Been a Title About Georgia that is Always on My Mind... By Diana Chachua

... I had a dream the other night. I dreamt about Tbilisi. The streets of the capital were full with thousands of protesters. Again? I thought to myself. What was most concerning, the capital had become a city of cells, yes cells, literally CELLS with volunteers inside, and there were people, probably organizers who had masks on their faces and were fooling people. What was most sad: these masses trusted and supported them.... I don't believe in dreams but this was a special one. I woke up all stressed and called Tbilisi. Soon I found out that it wasn't just a dream, it was what ectually has started in Georgia...

... So, from dreams back to reality. The opposition rallies continue in the capital of Tbilisi... If asking for my opinion, I would express my deep concern about ongoing events in Georgia and would call opposition for more constructive, diplomatic and democratic ways of solving problems. I think the time for choosing presidents by revolutions are over. Of course if we still have claims for being a democratic state with the inspiration of joining EU and NATO. Though, stating this I don't mean that people shouldn't have a right to go out and protest. I always respected Georgian citizents' high grade civil responsibility and fight for its better future. But do they really understand what for are they standing in front of the parliament today? I am afraid for the sake of some politicians' ambitions and unclear aims. The point is that ongoing protests and their leaders doesn't bring any sympathy and trust to me and if protesting, then I would claim for some reforms and would suggest particular changes and not like they do: "Georgia without Saakashvili". It seems to me that's all about personal hatred and political ambitions. Removing Saakashvili won't solve all the problems. And what if Saakashvili resines, what will be after, does this opposition have a plan? I never succeeded to get any argumentative answer on this question.

So, you can think of me as a suporter of Georgian president or whatever, it's your right, but what I care most is the future of my country. I am deeply concerned of seeing Tbilisi as a "city of cells and tants" again and again and hearing hundreds of unacceptable speeches during these protests in Tbilisi. I am tired of hearing how foreign journalists tell my Georgian collegues, what a nice place my country is because even when there is nothing going on in the world to report, there are always some protests, rallies and revolutions in Georgia...

What I suggest? I would have advices not only for Georgian government and opposition, but for western Institutions as well. Concerning local authorities, I am for stopping this circus and starting a dialogue between the current government and the opposition. As for International community, I would call for their higher level support. You would be probably surprised and ask me "what does EU or NATO or western communities as a whole have to do with this rallies"?! Well, I will give you an answer. I recall the words of famouse professor of political sciences Svante Cornell that he published in his work "Learning from Georgia's Crisis" and this will be my response: "the consequence for the West of the August events is not that Georgia has failed the test of democracy and therefore deserves less support, but exactly the opposite: that only more substantial investments in Georgia’s security can contribute to the building of a stable and democratic Georgia, itself something in the interest of the West," - - - and another very important point - - - - "It should be abandoned the false premise that sustainable democratic development in Georgia or anywhere is possible in the absence of sovereignty and security. The events of November 2007 only reinforce the conclusion that long-term sustainable democracy is unlikely to be built in the absence of basic security. This is one area where the comparison between Georgia and the new democracies of Central and Eastern Europe breaks down. Compared to the successful democratization processes in Eastern Europe in the 1990s, Georgia faces a security threat much more acute and existential in nature than any of those countries, including the Baltic states, ever did. Moreover, Georgia enjoys less Western – in particular European – support in terms of membership prospects in the EU and NATO, than those countries did. As long as that is the case, Georgia is unlikely to single-handedly develop into a consolidated and secure democracy."

So more we go into the topic more we see that the roots of Georgia's current problems are burried somewhere on the banks of the river called "security"........!!!

In the end, I want to recall the words of a friend of mine who once told me in a very optimistic way: "don't worry, this is a normal process and everything, including those mass rallies are part of this wide process of screening and purification of Georgian politics...". As a final remark, I would like to finish my letter in the same optimistic mood as my friend while sharing his ideas with me: "And I totally agree with him", but I more feel for "And I hope events proove he was right"...

BLOG: PEACE IN GEORGIA
TALKS WITH DIANA

dianach.livejournal.com

No comments: