Monday, April 06, 2009

TRAVEL: My Brief Foray into Tbilisi, Georgia (investoralist.com)

What is risk, and how do we perceive risk? When we see someone hanging off a glacier, doing back flips off of a ski slope, or rope walking between skyscrapers, do we assume these people have a certain born propensity for risk-taking?

Over the years, I have found that one’s tolerance for risky ventures tends to change over time. The range of activities that we spearhead may be different, and the enthusiasm by which we embrace changes and manage perceived risks may also be different. But whether we realize it or not, most of us continue to pursue ever so challenging situations. Our desire for the adrenaline rush or our innate curiosity that risky challenges provide is not unlike our appetite, it is stretchable. I have changed jobs, moved to new cities and countries, skydived, went to places that in retrospect, I probably shouldn’t have. None of them are connected, but all of them, in one way or another, have pushed me out of my comfort zone.

full article >>>

No comments: