Saturday, November 19, 2005

Caucasus: Mountain Men and Holy Wars
by Nicholas Griffin
Link: Look inside the book

Caucasus : A Journey to the Land between Christianity and Islam
by Nicholas Griffin
Link: Look inside the book


Volume 51, Number 4 · March 11, 2004 (The New York Review of Books)
Mysteries of the Caucasus
by Christian Caryl

BOOKS MENTIONED IN THIS ARTICLE

Stories I Stole
by Wendell Steavenson
Grove, 277 pp., $24.00


The Oath: A Surgeon Under Fire
by Khassan Baiev, with Ruth and Nicholas Daniloff
Walker, 376 pp., $26.00


Caucasus: Mountain Men and Holy Wars
by Nicholas Griffin
Thomas Dunne/St. Martin's, 240 pp., $24.95

Black Garden: Armenia and Azerbaijan through Peace and War
by Thomas de Waal
New York University Press, 336 pp., $35.00

Highlanders: A Journey to the Caucasus in Quest of Memory
by Yo'av Karny
Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 436 pp., $15.00 (paper)

Another Book-Links:
Ali and Nino : A Love Story by Kurban Said
Highlanders: A Journey to the Caucasus in Quest of Memory by Yo'av Karny
Caucasus : A Journey to the Land between Christianity and Islam by Nicholas Griffin
The Girl from the Golden Horn by Kurban Said
The Sabres of Paradise : Conquest and Vengeance in the Caucasus, Revised Edition by Lesley Blanch
The Orientalist : Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life by Tom ReissExplore Similar Items: in Books

Links:
*
Tough Questions Ahead for Russia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the book by Nicholas Griffin a while ago (both titles are the same book, though the subtitles are different). As far as I can remember it was an entertaining read, though I don't remember exactly and I don't have the book here in Yerevan to check back or flip through it again (I have the book back in Holland, might have to take it with me for a reread next time I'm there).

Anonymous said...

Actually, I have read some other books mentioned there as well. I liked Yo'av Karny's book, very informative and lots of information about the smaller peoples living in the Caucasus.
"Ali and Nino" is a nice book, I recommend it to people wanting to get a feel for the region. It's one of those books I reread every now and then on a rainy Sunday.
Finally, Wendell Steavenson's book on Georgia didn't do much to me. It was too much "getting drunk on whisky with the other expats while musing on this weird country we find ourselves in". The book had its moments, but in general it didn't raise above the whisky-with-the-pals level.
(In case you are wondering by now: yes, I am a book fanatic and read about every book about the Caucasus region I can get my hands on ;-) ).

Ralph Hälbig said...

thanks for your long comments, myrthe! best regards to armenia. Ralph