(ge.boell.org) The South Caucasus Regional Office of the Heinrich Boell Foundation announces a competition for its Regional Scholarship Programme
The goal of the Scholarship Programme is to foster academic research in South Caucasus countries.
The Programme aims to support:
Young researchers to conduct individual and interdisciplinary research that contributes to the development of social sciences in the countries of the South Caucasus.
The development of a regional network of social scientists in the South Caucasus.
Applicants born from 1977 to 1990 who have completed at university degree and permanently reside in a state of the South Caucasus are eligible to apply. Excellent command of both English and/or Russian is required. Methodologically innovative works using techniques from oral history, sociological research methods and comparative studies will be given particular priority.
The Foundation finances academic projects in the following subject areas:
1. State and Society: SocialStructures, Political Culture and Institutions;
2. Ethno-Political Conflicts: Collective and Individual Memory – Variety of Perspectives;
3. Problems of Inequality and Discrimination: Factors Defining the Marginality;
4. Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDP): Forms of Adaptation and Integration;
5. Gender Sensitivity and Gender Roles in Post-Soviet Societies;
6. Rethinking the Soviet Past: Macro and Micro History;
7. Social-Political Aspects of Urban Development;
8. Environment and Development: Problems of Conservation and Transformation;
9. Migration: Variety of Structures and Trends.
Duration and payment:
The scholarship period is the calendar year of 2013, with a monthly stipend of 250 Euro. The program includes seminars, summer schools and publications supported by the Foundation.
• The scholarship is considered personal financial assistance and cannot be used for projects other than those envisioned by the Programme.
• Applicants do not necessarily need to be affiliated with an academic institution.
• The deadline for applications is 17 October 2012, 6:00 p.m.
Application package should include the following documents:
1. A signed Cover Page with the following information: name and surname; date of birth; country; the academic field; the competition subject area (choose one of the nine subject areas listed above); the title of the proposed work (should not coincide with subject areas).
2. An application form in English or Russian.
3. Curriculum Vitae (CV).
4. An essay (5-8 pages) which should reflect your professional and personal motivations, while addressing the following questions: 1. Why am I interested in this topic? 2. What do I know about the proposed topic? 3. What methods will I use to research this topic? 4. Annual work schedule.
5. Two recommendation letters from an academic institution or from an immediate supervisor indicating relevant experience and/or academic work.
6. A university diploma (B.A., M.A. or a 5-year diploma) with transcripts.
7. Additional documentation such as published research, essays, dissertations, etc. This must be submitted in its original language and should not exceed 20 pages.
All documents must be submitted in English or Russian in three (3) paper copies and one electronic copy on two (2) CDs. Incomplete, late or e-mailed application packages will not be considered.
Applications in a sealed envelope should be delivered to:
Heinrich Boell Foundation South Caucasus Regional Office
38, Zovreti St., Tbilisi 0160, Georgia